Oh Hello There, Again!
I know that it has been QUITE some time since I've posted something new. Sorry about that. But sometimes a healthy hippie has got to go MIA to find new flavors and inspiration!
BACK IN THE KITCHEN!
I HAVE BEEN INSPIRED! by new ingredients and exotic culinary cultures. Lately I have been really into the Mediterranean diet, a lot of marinara, spices, and eggplant...yes, I said eggplant.
Now, not being one of my most favorite vegetables, eggplants are considered brain food, are rich in Phenolic Antioxidant Compounds, and they also help with Cardiovascular Health & Free Radical Protection.
Needless to day, I gave eggplant Parmesan a go...
|It's the leaning tower of EGGPLANT!!!|
Ingredients: (Feeds between 2-4 people)
- 1 or 2 large eggplant
- 1 jar plain marinara sauce
- 1.5 cups of sliced mushroom
- 2 eggs or egg substitute
- bread crumbs or vegan bread crumbs
- coconut oil
- vegan or non-vegan mozzarella cheese
- vegan or non-vegan Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- 10 raw "bitter" apricot kernels (optional)
|Apricot Kernels are pure vitamin B17, contain natural enzymes and vitamin B15.|
The kernels are extremely bitter in taste, so I ground up only 10 seeds in a Magic Bullet.
First, I prepared the bread crumbs. Yes, i said prepare because I never make anything simple and ordinary in my kitchen. I believe that creativity is the most important ingredient when it comes to cooking. When it comes to cooking, especially, I don't believe that you HAVE to follow a recipes exactly how it's described. I made this dish from three different recipes I heard about, and made it my own.
- Pour about a cup or two of bread crumbs (or vegan bread crumbs) onto a plate or large bowl.
- Add the seasonings (1 tablespoon of each): paprika, oregano, garlic powder.
- Add half a tablespoon of salt and pepper.
Preheat oven at 425 degrees...
- Slice eggplant into thick rounds, maybe half an inch thick.
- Crack eggs or pour egg substitute onto a large plate and whisk well until smooth.
- Cover both sides of eggplant slice and transfer onto bread crumb bowl.
- Flip and cover the other side.
- On a large baking sheet, pour a little bit of coconut oil to prevent any sticking.
- Once you have passed all the eggplant slices through the "egg" wash and bread crumbs, place side by side on the baking dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes-- Flip them, then bake for another 6-8 minutes.
While the eggplant bakes:
- Pour marinara into a sauce pan
- Add sliced mushrooms
- Add ground apricot kernel (optional)
- Add 1 TBS of coconut oil
When you are done, take the eggplants out of the over but keep the oven on!
On a Pyrex dish pour some of the sauce down to lightly cover the bottom.
Then place eggplant slices side by side
On top of the eggplant pour some more sauce. Then add some of the "cheese" (mozzarella).
Lay the remaining slices of eggplant and cover with remaining marinara sauce.
Finally cover with Parmesan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden.